Safety and Security Services
Safety and Security on Campus – a prime contact for security-related incidents, non-emergency issues, lock-outs, etc.
Safety and Security personnel are on campus year-round:
Monday to Sunday – 24 hours a day
t. 668.8722 c. 334.6042
An Incident Report must be completed after each incident.
(Incident Report forms are available from your Department Administrative Officer/Dean’s Office)
Ayamdigut Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday 7:00 am to 11:00 pm
Saturday, Sunday and Statutory Holidays 7:00 am to 6:00 pm
December 25 – January 1 (inclusive) CLOSED (limited access for staff)
Contact Safety and Security Services and/or dial 911 or if using an on-campus phone dial 9 and then 911.
In the event of a fire alarm or evacuation order, vacate the building immediately, using the nearest exit, following instructions provided by the Campus Fire Wardens or representative. They are identified by an orange hat and reflective vest. Do not re-enter the building until your Fire Warden or Emergency Responder advises you to do so.
Evacuate the building by pulling the nearest fire alarm.
Exit maps are posted in each classroom and gathering area. Become familiar with these to determine your exit route.
There are nine pay phones located throughout the college.
There are no charges for a 911 call from a pay phone.
There is a phone available for use in the foyer between the Attached Single Residence and the Attached Family Residence as well as outside of the Admissions Office.
The fire alarm is indicated by a series of 3 buzzes.
Suspicious Behaviour – Who to Contact?
In addition to contacting any emergency personnel (police, ambulance, etc.) please report any suspicious or threatening situation to your Dean, Director or security personnel and be prepared to provide a description of any person(s) involved.
Check the Safety Mirrors
Safety mirrors are installed so that you can see around blind corners. Please use them for your personal safety.
Locked out of the Building?
If you find yourself locked out of the building, contact Safety and Security Services. There is a phone available for use in the hallway between the Attached Single Residence and the Attached Family Residence as well as outside the Admissions Office.
Needles on Campus
If you find a used needle, do not touch it. Contact the custodian on campus at 332.6463 or Safety and Security Services at 334.6042 immediately.
Need an Escort to your Vehicle, Residence or Bus?
Contact Safety and Security Services at 334.6042
Custodian on Campus
There is a custodian on campus 24 hours a day.
Lost and Found
The Lost and Found is located at the Safety and Security Services office (beside the main entrance at the Ayamdigut campus).
Yukon College has taken a number of steps to promote a safer and more secure environment. However, no program can ensure a perfectly safe locale.
Ultimately we are all responsible for our own personal safety and we should keep the following in mind:
- Know your exits in advance.
- Know who else is in your general area.
- Know who to call/contact in an emergency.
- Project an assertive image.
- Do not prop open locked doors.
- Keep your interaction with strangers to a minimum.
- Have your keys (car or dorm) ready so you are not delayed getting into your car or residence.
- If you believe you are being followed, go immediately to a public place and call emergency personnel.
- Avoid isolated areas.
- Ensure someone knows your whereabouts and when you expect to return.
- Escorts to the parking lot are available from the custodian on campus or Safety and Security personnel.
If you believe you are in a dangerous situation:
- Attempt to diffuse the situation (remain calm, speak clearly in an even tone);
- Make all attempts to leave the area;
- Activate any alarms at your disposal (including a personal ‘screamer’ device), yell, scream, make noise, and
- Prepare to defend yourself with whatever might be available.