Become a Patron
Part-time and Full-time Students from YC (Ayamdigut Campus)
- Students must bring a picture ID to the library (Student YC ID card, driver's license, passport, etc.) and proof of registration (authorization to register form, Moodle printout, or YC ID) in order to register for a library account. Student YC ID cards are issued in the College Bookstore upon presentation of proof of registration.
- YC Students can enjoy the privilege of a library account during their time currently enrolled at Yukon College.
- For student enrolled in full-semestered programs, the Start Dates applied to library accounts are September 1st, January 1st, May 1st, and July 1st.
- For student enrolled in full-semestered programs, the Expiry Dates applied to library accounts are December 24th, April 30th, June 30th, and August 31st.
- For students enrolled in short-term programs or courses (e.g. trades, continuing education, etc.), the Start and End Dates applied to library accounts are determined by the dates indicated in the students’ Banner accounts.
- During the summer months (June-August) students with a current student ID proving that they are registered to start classes in the Fall may purchase a partial Public Patron card for $25.00. Other policies related to Public Patrons (see below) also apply during this time.
- If a student does not have their new college email address, they are encouraged to enter this contact information in their library account through the “Renew Books” login.
Students in Community Campuses/Distance Students
- Fill in the Community Campus Library Card Request. Enter *all* the required information. Important: this form can only be used by non-Whitehorse residents. If you live in Whitehorse, follow the instructions for full-time/part-time students described in the section above.
- The Library will send an email confirming the account creation.
- Library accounts will be valid until the end of the student's term. If you start a new term, you must renew your library account by filling another form.
- Students in the communities can use the Interlibrary Loan Request service to obtain materials from the College Library.
- Items will be sent to the community campus indicated in the ILL request form and can be returned to the Whitehorse Campus by College mail system or personally.
- Items from our collection can be loaned for 4 weeks, with the possibility of two renewals.
- Students who are registered for online courses only cannot borrow books from YC collection.
- Adult Yukon residents may purchase a public patron card, valid for one year, for a fee of $50.00.
- Yukon residents are also reminded that they can request interlibrary loans from the YC Library through their local branch of the Yukon Public Libraries system at no charge.
- Public Patrons may borrow up to 5 circulating items at a time.
- Public Patrons cannot place Hold Requests.
- Public Patrons cannot borrow AV equipment.
- Purchasing a Public Patron card does not include the privilege of off-campus access to the databases.
- Current Yukon government/picture ID, such as driver’s license, health care card, etc., must be shown to prove one’s identity and that one is a resident of the Yukon.
- See the section Patron Fees for more information.
- The loan period for circulating items from the main collection, for all patrons, is 3 weeks for Ayamdigut Campus patrons and 4 weeks for Community Campus patrons.
- Students with a current library card can borrow up to 20 items at a time.
- Public patrons can borrow up to 5 items at a time.
- Faculty & Staff can borrow up to 24 items at a time.
- Faculty can request a longer borrowing period of 3 months to meet their unique work needs (preparing a course, conducting research, etc.). Requests may be denied if Library Staff believe that having an item unavailable for borrowing for so long would hinder students’ ability to complete assignments.
Periodicals and Reference Collection
- Non-circulating for most patrons.
- Reference items may be signed out by Faculty for the length of a class when such items are required for classroom instruction
- Faculty and Staff may borrow periodicals for one week.
- Most of the maps are non-circulating, but circulating maps are also available. Check with Library Staff for more information.
- Faculty may borrow maps for the length of a class when such items are required for classroom instruction.
- Individual loan periods are dependent upon the conditions assigned to items by individual course Instructors.
- Most Reserve items are for in-library use only (i.e. patrons cannot leave the library with the item).
- For more information, see Information on Reserves.
- Use the online form to put items on Reserve (for Faculty only).
- Loan periods for AV equipment are assigned on a case-by-case basis.
- See Information on AV Services
- Check the In-Classroom Equipment List
- Check the AV Equipment Catalogue
- Request AV equipment through the online form.
- Renewals are recommend for all patrons to avoid overdue fines (see Patron Fees section below).
- If there is a Hold request on an item, patrons will be unable to renew the item and must return it as soon as possible.
- All patrons can renew items up to 2 times, each for 3 weeks.
- However, no patron may renew items passed the expiry date of their library card.
Renewals may be requested several ways:
Public patron card
- Members of the public who are permanent residents of the Yukon, and not employees of the College, can purchase a library card, valid for one year, for a fee of $50.00. Current Yukon government ID, such as driver’s license, health care card, etc., must be shown.
- Yukon College is not a branch of the Yukon government so “employee” does not refer to Yukon Government employees unless they are also directly employed by Yukon College and possess a Yukon College Employee ID.
- Public patron cards allow the purchase to borrow up to 5 circulating items from the collection, but does not include access to the databases and there are additional fees for interlibrary loans.
Fines and replacement costs
- The cardholder is responsible for the items checked out on his/her card.
- Any fines generated are also the responsibility of the cardholder.
- Items that are renewed or returned after the due date will be charged a fine of $1.00 per day per item. This policy applies to all library patrons.
- A fine balance of more than $10.00 will prohibit a student from borrowing materials until the fine is paid down. The limit for public patrons is also $10.00
- Students who have an outstanding fine balance will not be able to graduate, receive transcripts, register for courses, etc.
- Items overdue for more than two months will be billed at replacement cost plus $10.00 processing fee per item.
- Check-out privileges will be suspended until the item(s) has(ve) been returned and the processing fee paid or the replacement fee(s) and processing fee(s) have been paid.
- Replacement charges must be paid for items that are lost or damaged. The charge will reflect the actual replacement cost plus a $10.00 administration fee.
Note to Yukon College Employees (Permanent/Term)
- An outstanding fine balance greater than $50.00 for a College employee will result in the withholding of check-out privileges until the balance has been reduced to less than $25.00
- We expect and demand this level of responsibility from our students, and it would be unprofessional of us to expect less from employees. Particularly since all employees have a generous grace period of 21 days before fines start accruing. This grace period does not apply to interlibrary loaned items.
- An employee can pay the fine out of his/her own pocket, or, if their dean/director approves, by way of an Internal Requisition transferring the money to the library’s budget.