Look for inappropriate or unusual labeling or package characteristics such as:
- Excessive postage
- Handwritten or poorly typed addresses
- Misspellings of common words
- Strange return address or no return address
- Incorrect titles or title without a name
- Not addressed to a specific person
- Marked with restrictions such as "Personal," "Confidential," or "Do not x-ray"
- Marked with any threatening language
- Postmarked from a city or other location that does not match the return address
- Powdery substance felt through or appearing on the package or envelope
- Oily stains, discolorations, or odor
- Lopsided or uneven envelope
- Excessive packaging material such as masking tape, string, etc.
- Excessive weight
- Ticking sound
- Protruding wires or aluminum foil
Person finding a suspicious parcel:
- Report to Safety and Security (334-6042, speed dial 222 from your office/classroom phone or via the YC Mobile app) or your instructor/direct supervisor.
- Under no circumstances will any employee attempt to touch, sniff, taste, move, look closely, or dispose of the suspicious package.
- Alert others in the area about the suspicious package or envelope. Leave the area, close any doors, and take actions to prevent others from entering the area.
- WASH hands with soap and water to prevent spreading potentially infectious material to face or skin. Seek additional instructions for exposed or potentially exposed persons.
- Await instructions. If told to evacuate, follow specific instructions, as the usual evacuation procedures may not apply.
Safety and Security or manager:
- Immediately report item to Police.
- Meet with emergency services personnel to determine the best course of action.
- Instruct staff according to directions of emergency personnel.
- If instructed to evacuate, follow evacuation procedures.
All Students & Staff:
- Stay in your work area/classroom, unless instructed otherwise by Safety and Security or Dean/Director/Manager. Look around your work area for any suspicious packages.
- If you find something suspicious, do not touch it. Report anything unusual to the Safety and Security (334-6042, speed dial 222 from your office/classroom phone or via the YC Mobile app), your instructor/direct supervisor or emergency personnel.
- Await instructions.
- If instructed to evacuate, follow "Emergency Evacuation".