Learning Assistance Centre
The purpose of the Learning Assistance Centre (LAC) is to help students achieve academic success. The four experienced LAC staff collaborate with faculty, support staff and community agencies to assist students and applicants. We offer two categories of services:
The LAC helps students develop learning skills and strategies to manage the demands of being a student, become more effective and efficient learners and boost confidence. We can enhance students’ skills in these areas:
- Time management and developing personalized study schedules;
- Note taking strategies and note taking templates;
- Memory strategies;
- Reading the textbook more efficiently;
- Preventing and reducing test anxiety;
- Preparing for and writing tests and exams;
- Reducing procrastination.
The LAC offers:
- One-on-one learning skills appointments;
- Customized group workshops;
- In-class workshops;
- Online resources and tools.
Yukon College students and applicants can contact the LAC by phone, email (see below) or drop-in to our office (C1520) to book an appointment.
Students in rural Yukon can phone or email to book video conference or telephone appointments.
The Learning Assistance Centre is the point of contact for all students who require academic accommodations due to a permanent disability including attention deficit, learning disabilities, chronic health issues, mental health issues, hearing and visual impairments and physical disabilities.
Accommodations are also available to students with a temporary impairment due to accident, illness or injury.
The LAC works with students to reduce the barriers to education and minimize the impact of a disability on learning potential. Services include:
- Identifying reasonable academic accommodations. These can include specialized exam arrangements, use of computers for exams, and access to alternate format textbooks;
- Training and access to assistive technologies such as voice recognition software;
- Instruction on customized learning strategies to help overcome the impact of a disability on learning;
- Working with instructors to implement academic accommodations for students;
- Providing information and promoting awareness of disabilities across Yukon College.
All requests for academic accommodation made to the LAC are confidential, and are assessed on an individual basis. LAC staff work cooperatively with each student to assess the request and recommend appropriate accommodations where necessary.
Students wishing to request academic accommodations are strongly encouraged to contact the LAC as soon as possible to discuss their needs – even before the semester begins.
The Learning Assistance Centre is open from 8:30 to 4:30 Monday to Friday and is located on the lower floor of the C-Wing in room C1520 at Yukon College's Ayamdigut Campus. For more information or to speak to one of our staff members contact us at:
Toll-free to College reception
General email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Joel Macht, Instructor
Wendy Kitchen, Instructor
Birgit Martens, Educational Support Facilitator